Saturday, February 27, 2010

Canada stamps (1)



Last visit to the stamp museum in Tokyo, I scored a nice collection of common Canadian stamps in an album – just the overstock from one of the dealers. None of the stamps were particularly special, but I had very few stamps from Canada and wanted to boost my collection a bit.

Besides, the price was right and the album and stamps came together. I moved the stamps to one of my albums and gave the just-purchased album to my daughter for her collection.

Until now, she has just had a couple pages in one of my albums, but now she has her own album. This is very important to a six-year-old!

There were basically two types of stamps – long series of profiles, and outdoors / nature / wildlife. You can guess which ones my daughter wanted for her collection.

Anyway, I am not a huge Olympics fan, but congratulations to Canada for hosting a successful Winter Olympics.

日本語 hints:
scored = got, bought, purchased – it is a bit informal

overstock = extra copies or duplicates they don’t need, 供給過剰

boost = add to, improve -- also a bit informal

the price was right = in this case it means the price was low, it was a good deal

just- Notice that we can put “just-“ in front of almost any verb, together with a dash

you can guess = you probably know

Olympics – Notice that the word is usually plural (複数) by itself, but is often singular (単数) when used together with another word: Olympic games, Olympic sport, etc. vs. the Olympics

No comments:

Post a Comment

日本語でもコメントをどうぞ Please feel free to leave questions and comments.