Saturday, November 14, 2009

dendrobium


Here are three stamps from The Philippines which caught my eye. The one in the center is a dendrobium. Some years back, I was teaching a person who had greatly surprised me by sharing that his hobby was gardening (on the balcony of his apartment). I expressed interest in his flowers, and he brought me a dendrobium cut from his own plant. I thought that was quite nice.

Back to the Philippines - I have recently come across a fairly large collection of older Philippines stamps, one spanning several decades. I was delighted to have so many more stamps from the Philippines, as I had very few before this. But there was one problem: how to arrange them.

Many people arrange their stamps chronologically. But I have no information about the years most of my stamps were issued (nor time to research it). So I have been arranging them in ascending order by denomination: starting with the smallest and moving to the largest.

But on the stamps from the Philippines, I found several denominations: "cents", "s", "p", "centavos", and the word "koreo". I emailed a friend and got a quick response: "koreo" means "postage stamp" in Tagalog. "P" is for "pesos", which are larger than centavos / cents / "s".

More Philppines stamp photos to come...

日本語 hints:
dendrobium: a type of orchid or 欄
catch someone's eye: get one's attention
balcony = ベランダ
to span several decades: a decade = 10 years, so this collection has about 30 years' worth of stamps
chronological: in order by year, from oldest to most recent (年代順?)
in ascending order: from smallest to largest
denomination: 種類 or 単位、金額
tagalog: one of the main languages used in the Philippines

No comments:

Post a Comment

日本語でもコメントをどうぞ Please feel free to leave questions and comments.